To ensure that your bedding is correctly treated in the machine and to obtain the best possible results please read the following washing instructions:
- New bed linen should be washed before use with a mild detergent in cool or lukewarm water (30°C/86°F).
- Duvet covers and pillowcases should always be washed inside out.
- Do not overload the washing machine to avoid wash stripes and too many creases.
- Using a tumble dryer results in more creases than allowing linen to dry naturally on a washing line.
- To minimize creasing when using a tumble dryer, do not overload and do not allow to overdry.
- Linen should be removed from the washing machine or tumble dryer immediately after the last cycle and not be left in the machine for any length of time.
- Drying in bright sunlight for extended periods of time may result in colours fading.
- Ironing is best done when the fabric is still slightly damp.
- Wash linen at a maximum of 40°C/104°F in the main wash or in a gentle shorter programme. Opt for a programme with a long rinse cycle such as the wool programme, to make sure that any excess detergent is washed out.
- It is preferable to use a liquid detergent specially designed for coloured wash (without bleach) to avoid wash stripes and fading of colours.
- Never use chlorine bleach on whites. Bleach weakens the fibres of the fabric and will strip out the colour of the white fabric. Instead, try specially designed stain removers to brighten whites or remove stains.
- Be careful when using stain removers. Read the instructions on the bottle carefully. Improper use removes stains, but may cause colours to fade or leave yellowish stains on whites.
- Do not use high temperatures. Excessive heat damages the yarn and its natural feel of softness. It also causes the fabric to shrink too much. It is kinder to the environment to wash at 40°C/ 104°F or lower.
- Do not use too much detergent. Linen is best washed using less detergent than the regular dosage recommended on the bottle. Overuse can strip or fade colours and cause loss of richness in tone.
- Beware of detergents that contain optical brighteners as these can cause fading over time in darker colours.
- Be careful with body lotions, facial creams, hair products and certain soaps. Some contain chemicals that act just like bleach, and will fade colours and/or leave light stains.